5/1/13 – The Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) held their Annual Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia on April 17 to 19. The focus of the week-long meeting is on best ways to assist all public libraries in carrying out a quality summer reading program. Slogans, themes, artwork and materials for 2014, 2015, and 2016 summer reading programs are reviewed and voted on during the meetings.
Karen Balsen, Youth Services and Systems Liaison for the New York State Library attended as the New York State Representative and the Coordinator of the Teen Video Challenge Competition.
Following is an update from the meetings:
- Theme, Slogans, Artwork
- 2014 – Theme is “Science” and the slogans are “Fizz, Boom, Read!” (children), “Spark a Reaction” (teen), and “Literary Elements” (adult).
- 2015 – Theme is “Hero” and the slogans are “Every Hero Has a Story” (children), “Unmask!”” (teens), “Escape the Ordinary” (adult)
- 2016 – Theme is “Fitness/Health/Sports”
- CSLP is reviewing the option of having one slogan each year. There will still be four programs (Early Literacy, Children, Teen, Adult) each with their own artwork and program.
- For 2013 CSLP is covering half of all shipping.
- In 2014 CSLP will no longer cover any shipping costs.
- The CSLP website http://www.cslpreads.org includes resources and materials beyond what is offered in the Manuals. For full access please register and obtain a user name and password.
- The CSLP Rules of Use (ROU) http://www.cslpreads.org/about/rules-of-use.html, that explain the use of all CSLP created materials and artwork, have been updated. Please review the ROU and e-mail me any questions (KBalsen@mail.nysed.gov). It would be great to have some NYS questions included in the FAQ section.
- Teaching Books.net is offering the section of their website that relates to hte summer reading theme, underground, free of charge through the link on the CSLP website. Please check out all the valuable resources this site provides. No log in is necessary so this resource is available t0o schools as well as public libraries.
- Highsmith is currently running slaes on some 2013 summer reading items. To get full information about the sales log into http://www.cslpreads.org with a user name and password. Go to “Shop Now” to see all sale items.
- Beginning in 2013 schools and other non-profit educational organizations that partner with public libraries are able to order select Highmith materials. To obtain an order form the school library school partner with their public library. The public library will have to log into http://www.cslpreads.org using their user name and password. Go to “Shop Now” and scroll down to print out the order form for a school to place their order.
Thank you for taking a break from all the work on your 2013 summer reading programs to review this update. Have a great 2013 summer reading season.