2017 Teen Video Challenge
2017 Teen Video Challenge (TVC)
Create a video promoting Summer Reading at the public library, including your interpretation of the 2017 Collaborative Summer Library Program teen slogan “Build a Better World” and you could win a $50 award for your library.
One winning video created by a teen or group of teens will be selected as the New York State Winner in the national Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) “2017 Teen Video Challenge”. All state winning videos will be official 2017 CSLP promotional videos and will be viewed nationwide.
Information and forms for libraries participating in the 2017 TVC are listed at bottom of this page.
Who can enter?
- Any New York State teen aged 13 -18.
- Create the video on your own or work as a team.
How do I enter?
- Get the Entry Form (PDF) (also DOC) Read all instructions provided on the entry form and read the Rules
- Create a 30 – 90 second video that encourages teens to read and use libraries this summer. Be sure to include your interpretation of the 2017 CSLP teen slogan “Build a Better World.”
- Explore resources (PDF) for additional ideas and information. (also DOC)
- Title your video: “2017 TVC-NY- Unique Name” (the same title that you put on the entry form). Please choose a Unique Name that does not include your real name (example: 2017 – TVC – NY- BuildaBetterWorld!23).
- Upload your video to YouTube.com and add closed captioning (if your video includes words in the audio) using the YouTube closed captioning feature.
- Fill out and sign your Entry Form and Model Release Form(s) completely. Note: all individuals appearing in the video must submit a signed Model Release Form, in addition to the video’s creator(s).
- Mail or Deliver your completed forms, using the label “2017 TVC,” to your local public library (same library listed on your entry form) by February 13, 2017.
Questions? Contact your local library.
What can I win?
The winners local public library will receive prizes worth $50 from CSLP and Upstart. Winners will also receive certificates from CSLP and Summer Reading at New York Libraries. Winners will be announced in the spring of 2017.
If your video is chosen as a New York State finalist, you will be contacted by the New York State Teen Video Challenge Representative and asked to prepare a brief written summary for your video for full accessibility. In addition, the creator of the winning video will be asked to submit a DVD of the video. The DVD should have a minimum of a 640 x 480 aspect ratio and is preferred in the .wmv format.
In spring 2017, a complete list of state winners, along with their videos, will be posted on the CSLP website. The New York State winner and finalists will be posted on the Summer Reading at New York Libraries Teen Video Challenge Winners page.
The “2017 Teen Video Challenge” for New York State is open only to legal U.S. residents who are residents of New York State aged 13 – 18. Participants are ineligible if directly related to the panel of judges for the contest. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Contest Rules.
Each participant or group may submit one video per entry. Each entry must include signed Model Release Form(s). All submissions must be received by February 17, 2017. Late entries will not be accepted. A DVD of the video and a brief written summary will be requested from the winner for full accessibility.
Note about age limits and Creator vs Participant: The video Creator(s) must be between the ages of 13 and 18, but Participants in the video – such as cast members – may be outside of that age range. Appropriate permission and a signed Model Release Form are still needed for all Creator(s) and Participant(s), regardless of age. Participants are not eligible for prizes or recognition from CSLP. Libraries that wish to reward Participants are welcome to do so as they see fit.
Terms and Conditions:
All audio and artwork must be created by the entrant or be in the public domain and must be specified as such on the entry form. CSLP (and all CSLP member affiliates) have permission to use the “2017 Teen Video Challenge” submissions, including all work created and all intellectual property embodied therein, as per the Model Release Form.
Video Criteria for Acceptance:
All videos must:
- Be 30 to 90 seconds.
- Promote the idea of using public libraries and reading.
- Include your interpretation of the 2017 CSLP teen slogan “Build a Better World.”
- Be designed for use at any library.
- Be appropriate for viewing by audiences of all ages.
Video will be Judged on the Following Criteria:
- Message clarity and relevance
- Motivation and inspiration
- Overall impact
Any entry containing copyrighted material (audio, images, etc.) will be disqualified.
Entries are due to the local public library by March 4, 2017. Entries from the public library are due to the New York State Library by February 13, 2017.
Forms and Documents
- 2017 General Information (PDF)
- Information & Timeline for NYS Public Libraries (Word Doc))
- 2017 TVC Entry Form (PDF)
- 2017 TVC Entry Form (Word Doc)
- 2017 TVC Model Release Form (PDF)
- Public Library to State Submission Form (Word Doc)
- Public Library to State Submission Form – Instruction Sheet (Word Doc))
- 2017 TVC Promotional Poster (PDF)
For questions, contact Sharon Phillips, Coordinator of Summer Reading at New York Libraries, at Sharon.Phillips@nysed.gov or (518) 486-4863.