Teen Video Challenge 2014
2014 Teen Video Challenge (TVC)
Create a video promoting Summer Reading at the public library, including your interpretation of the 2014 CSLP teen slogan “SPARK a Reaction,” and you could win $275 and a $125 award for your library.
One winning video created by a teen or group of teens will be selected as the New York State Winner in the national Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) “2014 Teen Video Challenge”. All state winning videos will be official 2014 CSLP promotional videos and will be viewed by teens nationwide.
Information and forms for libraries participating in the 2014 TVC are listed at bottom of this page.
Who can enter?
- Any New York State teen aged 13 -18.
- Create the video on your own or work as a team.
How do I enter?
- Get the Entry Form (PDF or Word Document) Read all instructions provided on the entry form and read the Rules
- Create a 30 – 90 second video that encourages teens to read and use libraries this summer. Include your interpretation of the 2014 CSLP teen slogan “Spark A Reaction.”
- Explore the Resources for additional ideas and information.
- Title your video: “2014 TVC-NY- Unique Name” (same as Entry Form) Please choose a Unique Name that does not include your real name (example: 2014 TVC – NY- Krypton!23).
- Upload your video to YouTube.com and add closed captioning (if your video includes words in the audio) using the YouTube feature.
- Fill out and sign your Entry Form and Model Release Form(s) completely.
- Mail or Deliver your completed forms, using the label “2014 TVC,” to your local public library (same library listed on your entry form) by February 19, 2014.
Questions? Contact your local library.
What Can I Win? CSLP will review all state winners and will award each CSLP approved State Teen Video Challenge Winner $275. Their Local Public Library will receive prizes worth $125 from CSLP and Upstart. Winners will be announced in the spring of 2014.
If your video is chosen as the winner, you will be contacted by the New York State Teen Video Challenge Representative and asked to mail a DVD of the video and a brief written summary for full accessibility. The DVD should have a minimum of a 640 x 480 aspect ratio and is preferred to be in the .wmv format.
A complete list of state winners, along with videos, will be posted on the CSLP website winners’ page. The New York State winner and finalists will be posted on the Summer Reading at New York Libraries Video Challenge Winners page.
Eligibility: The “2014 Teen Video Challenge” is open only to legal U.S. residents who are age 13 to 18 applying through the state where they reside. Participants are ineligible if directly related to the panel of judges for the contest. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Rules. Each participant or group may submit one video per entry. Signed Model Release form(s) must be included with each entry. All submissions must be received by February 19, 2014 to the library named on your entry form. Late entries will not be accepted. A DVD of the video and a brief written summary will be requested from the state winner.
Terms and Conditions: All audio and artwork must be created by the entrant or be in the public domain and must be specified as such on the entry form. CSLP (and all CSLP member affiliates) have permission to use the “2014 Teen Video Challenge” submissions, including all work created and all intellectual property embodied therein, as per the Model Release form.
Video Criteria for Acceptance:
All videos must:
- Be 30 to 90 seconds.
- Promote the idea of using public libraries and reading.
- Include your interpretation of the 2014 CSLP teen slogan “Spark a Reaction.”
- Be designed for use at any library.
- Be appropriate for viewing by audiences of all ages.
- Include closed captioning for accessibility.
Video will be judged on the following criteria:
- Message clarity and relevance
- Motivation and inspiration
- Overall impact
Entries due from the public library to the New York State Library: February 24, 2014. See Information for NYS Public Libraries (PDF) for further details
Forms and Documents
- Information for NYS Public Libraries (PDF)
- 2014 TVC Entry Form (PDF)
- Public Library to State Submission Form (Word Doc)
- Public Library to State Submission Form – Instruction Sheet (PDF)
- Promotional Poster (PDF)
For Questions, contact Karen Balsen, Summer Reading at New York Libraries Coordinator, (518) 486-2194 firstname.lastname@example.org