The Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) held their Annual Meeting in Hershey,PA, April 9 to April 12. 48 out of the 50 member states were represented at the meeting. The focus of the week-long meeting is on best ways to assist all public libraries in carrying out a quality summer reading program. Slogans, themes, art work, and materials for 2013, 2014, and 2015 summer reading programs are reviewed and voted on during the meetings.
Karen Balsen, Youth Services and Systems Liaison for the New York State Library attended as the New York State Representative, Chair of the PR and Marketing Committee, and a member of the Executive Board. Randy Enos, Youth Services Consultant for the Ramapo-Catskill Library System attended as a representative fromNew YorkStateand a member of the Vendor Committee. It was wonderful to have two representatives from NYS so that various opinions and information that benefited the membership as a whole, as well as all libraries in NYS, could be discussed and shared.
Following is an update from the meetings:
- Theme, Slogans, Artwork
- 2013 – Theme is “Underground” and the slogans are “Dig Into Reading” (children), “Beneath the Surface” (teens), “Groundbreaking Reads” (adult). Scott Nash is the artist for the children’s program and Duncan Long is creating the artwork for the teen program.
- 2014 – Theme is “Science” and the slogans are “Fizz, Boom, Read!” (children), “Spark a Reaction” (teen), and “Literary Elements” (adult).
- 2015 – Theme is “Heroes.”
- The CSLP website http://www.cslpreads.org includes resources and materials beyond what is offered in the Manuals. For full access please register and obtain a user name and password.
- The CSLP Rules of Use (ROU) http://www.cslpreads.org/about/rules-of-use.html, that explain the use of all CSLP created materials and artwork, have been updated. Please review the ROU and e-mail me any questions (KBalsen@mail.nysed.gov). It would be great to have some NYS questions included in the FAQ section.
- 2012 is the last year that CSLP will cover the full cost of shipping for summer reading materials from Highsmith.
- In 2013 CSLP will cover 50% of shipping costs.
- In 2014 CSLP will no longer cover any shipping costs.
- Beginning in 2013 schools and other non-profit educational organizations that partner with public libraries will be able to order select Highmith materials. Full details will be available fall 2012.
- CSLP and Highsmith recognize that there were many ordering related issues this year. They are working together to improve availability of products and allow for customization.
- CSLP is reviewing the option of having one slogan each year. There will still be four programs (Early Literacy, Children, Teen, Adult) each with their own artwork and program.
- The diversity Committee plans to add Library of Congress braille and audio book notation to each summer’s reading lists beginning in 2013.
- Early Literacy Program was included for the first time in 2012 in the CSLP Manual. Two librarians with NYS ties created the manual: Kapila Love (formerly at New City Library) and Sarah Northshield (Tappan Library).
Thank you for taking a break from all the work on your 2012 summer reading programs to review this update. Have a great 2012 summer reading season.